- Art of Charcuterie
The first citation of the name of the town appears in a deed of donation by the Bishop Ingone of Nonantola Abbey to the Abbot of San Pietro Ardorico. The document dated 1025, regards land and houses, “in Castro Novo super ripam fluminis Tepidi de mane”, which translates as, “in Castelnuovo, on the right bank of the River Tiepido”, where the ancient Pieve di Santa Maria still stands today and where the earliest remains have been found of human habitation and pig farming. The name Castelnuovo Rangone comes from the fact that in 1391 the settlement became a feud of the aristocratic Rangoni family
The end of the 1800s saw the beginning of the main economic development of Castelnuovo: the pork processing industry. Today, with more than 1200 employees working at more than fifty companies, the food production district that rotates around Castelnuovo Rangone is one of the most important in Europe, with the presence of some of the giants in the meat processing sector. Pigs are celebrated with a bronze statue in the central square of the town (a homage by the Dutch Meat Export Body to the animal that symbolizes the local economy), and at the Superzampone, the big annual public festival in December in which a giant zampone (recorded in the Guinness Book of Records) is cooked and offered free to thousands of people.